Most of small businesses that own the Brother MFC-8840DN or the MFC-8890DW are familiar with the need to replace toners and drums every once in a while. The fuser, on the other hand, is another essential part of the printer that many of our customers do not know how to replace or do not know that they need to replace the fuser until the warning message start to appear.
The fuser is the part that heats the toner and fuse the powder in place to produce the final print out. The part only needs to be replaced about every 100,000 pages and it can be years for most business to see the warning message appear on their screen. Because not many people are familiar with the fuser, we would like to share detailed instructions with you on how to reset the counter and replace the fuser. You can choose to reset the fuser counter if you feel like the print outs are doing okay and really do not need to replace the part until toner powder start to smear off from your final print out.
Replace Fuser Message Reset Procedure
1. Press the 3 and 9 buttons on the control panel at the same time
2. The display will say reset at the top and below it will be a list of parts
3. Scroll down to FUSER and press OK
4. The screen will display (1) Reset (2) Exit. Press 1 to reset.
5. The machine will display ACCEPTED and go back to ready state.
Steps to Replace the Fuser Unit
Things to Watch Out For Before Replacing the Fuser Unit Yourself:
· Make sure that the AC cord is disconnected from the machine.
· Make sure that the drum and toner parts are removed.
· Make sure that all the paper is removed from the Paper tray.
1. Open the back cover.
2. Remove the Arms of the Back cover from the Pins.
3. Remove the Pins of the Outer chute ASSY from the Back cover.
4. Remove the Back cover.
5. Hold the Knobs on the Rear chute ASSY and pull down this to your side.
6. Remove the Arms of the Rear chute ASSY from the Pins.
7. Remove the Rear chute ASSY.
8. Remove the pan B M4x20 Taptite screw as shown on the picture below. Release the Hooks in the order of 8a, 8b, and 8c. Remove the FU Harness Cover 1.
9. Disconnect the connector of the Heater terminal while pressing the Hook of the connector of the fuser unit.
10. Pull the FU harness cover 2 to the direction of 10a while pressing the Hook and pull out the FU harness cover 2 from the back of the machine.
11. Disconnect the connectors of the Thermistor ASSY M and Thermistor ASSY S from the Relay rear PCB ASSY, and remove the harnesses of these thermistors.
12. Remove the pan B M4x20 Taptite screw to remove the Fuser unit.
13. Reverse the steps with your new fuser unit and viola!
As you can tell from this post, changing out the fuser unit is a lot more complicated that replacing the toners and drums. If you do not feel completely up to it, it is advised to have a professional come and help you. However, we hope that this post will be able to help those of you out there that are technically savvy to save some service money.
Once again, we would like to remind you that we will be more than happy to answer other technical inquiries you might have for your current printer. Please simply email us at email@example.com and we will try out best to serve you. We also carry all the parts for the Brother MFC-8840DN and MFC-8890DW as well as most of the printing supplies and parts for major printer brands. Please visit us at www.toner-spot.com to view our full selection and prices.